So today I baked my favourite Autumn recipe a delicious slice that is suitable for breakfast or as a tasty snack throughout the day.
250g Porridge Oats
125g Self Raising Flour
125g Wholemeal Flour
400g of Stewed Apple
125g of Chopped Dates
1tsp Mixed Spice
(Sugar and mixed spice are not pictured and the flours are mixed together)
1)Pre heat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 4, and grease a tin with margarine.
2) Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
3) Add in the margarine and crumble in with the dry ingredients. Just get your hands dirty and rub it in with your fingers, I recommend having a good sized bowl and stuff seems to go everywhere.
4) Place half of the mixture in the tin and press it down so it is all packed together and on an even level.
5) Smooth the strewed apple mixture all over the first layer, then add the topped dates randomly over the top making sure that there is approximately even distribution of dates throughout the slice. After this simple sprinkle over the remaining mixture evenly over the top making sure everything is covered. Bake in the oven for roughly 25 minutes.
6) Bake until golden brown then place on the side to cool. Once cool cut into slices and remove from the tin, sit back and enjoy.
Like I said before I love this tasty treat especially warm with a bit of cream or with a cup of coffee for breakfast. The apple and mixed slice also makes it have the ideal autumnal taste. So if you try it out let me know, I’d love to see how you get on.